Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Brushing Of Teeth


My doctor used to say you should start with brushing as soon as the kids get their teeth. My son is three and a half now. But when he just started getting his first teeth, I started brushing his teeth. I used to use the brush which you slip on your index finger. It has very soft bristles and does not hurt their gums, but I didn't start using paste that early. I started using toothpaste when he had around 9 to 10 teeth and that too a very small quantity since the kids tend to swallow it and don't know how to spit it out. Some kids don't like the idea of putting the brush in their mouth so use clean wash cloth and gently massage their gums during the bath time. Gradually give them a play toothbrush to try out themselves, but be sure to supervise. If they still do not agree or fuss over brushing their teeth, tell them about germs and then show them the ads that come on television for toothpaste or toothbrush. Show them pictures of children brushing their teeth. I'm sure it will take a little time. But have patience and keep trying consistently. All the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin